Friday, February 25, 2011

Guardian Angels

"Wherever you go and whatever you do may there always be an angel watching over you."

Everybody has lost someone.  Whether a grandparent, teacher, spouse, parent, brother, sister, friend, or just someone that you knew who changed your life for the better.  You always hear stories people tell after a loved one has passed where "they saw them," or "they felt them holding their hand."  Well, whether it be part of the grieving process, or God really letting you know that everything is going to be okay, I choose to believe that that split second of comfort you get when all other aspects of your life seems to be falling apart, is/are your Guardian Angel(s).  A friend told me that ever since her mother passed away that every time she goes on a road trip by herself she puts her "Guardian Angel" on the hood of her car to watch out for her.  Every time I see a yellow butterfly or a blue jay I can truly feel my dad's presence.  After my dad passed away my mom told me that whenever I got sad and didn't feel close to dad, to hold my hand out and imagine him holding it.  She told me this because one night when she was having a tough time, she nonchalantly let her hand hang off of the bed and all of a sudden she felt this comfort that was so strong she was no longer sad.  She felt something in her hand and came to the realization that she would be okay.  That little trick has helped me get through many sleepless nights.

Last night while at a banquet, the Delta was surrounded by tornado warnings and terrible weather.  Ever since I can remember I have been absolutely terrified of tornadoes.  I would freak out every time we would get potentially bad weather and each time Mom would quote her Grandaddy, "A storm will kill you but there's no use dying every time a cloud blows up."  Last night, when they were presenting us a Lifetime Achievement Award in honor of Mom, there were tornadoes all around us, but I didn't even hear it thunder.  I used to always worry where my loved ones would be if a tornado hit.  Last night I was with my brother, three out of four aunts, my Memommy, Ahyee and Mr. Doug, and Mrs. Jody and G-Dawg.  I had absolutely nothing to worry about.

I thank God every day for Guardian Angels.

About two weeks after Mom passed away I was staying the night at a friend's house, and almost every night I sleep with this smaller maroon down blanket that my Aunt Sissy got me when I was about 10.  It's usually at my feet or over my legs; very rarely will it be wrapped around me.  That was also around the time where I had to take medicine to be able to go to sleep at night.  It had been months since I had been able to sleep without any help, but unfortunately, that night there was nothing I could take.  I woke up for a split-second in the middle of the night with my blanket wrapped around me like a cocoon.  It felt like someone was holding me, loving on me, comforting me, just like Mom used to do.  I felt her instantly for just that split-second I was awake.  That was the best night's sleep I'd gotten in months.  

I thank God every day for Guardian Angels.


Song of the day:  Wild Angels-Martina McBride


No comments:

Post a Comment