Monday, February 21, 2011

Everything Happens For a Reason

If you don't like something, change it.  If you can't change it, change the way you look at it.

Christmas 2008 my mom got me a silver leather bracelet that wraps around three times that says, "EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON."  At least once a week somebody will ask me what my bracelet says and I'll say "My motto for life."  That bracelet hasn't left my arm since August, and now, more than ever, it has taken on a whole new meaning.  I'm still new to this whole "blogging" thing, but I look at it as therapy.  One thing that has really been on my mind, as well as heavy on my heart, are people who make excuses for everything.  I guess you could say it's my pet peeve.  Shit happens.  Love it or hate it, that's the way life is.  Bad things are going to happen.  Look beyond them and figure out how you can grow from them.  My mom used to always say, "If everyone were to put their troubles in a big pile, I bet you'd choose to have yours back instead of someone else's." 

"It is easier to light a candle than to curse the darkness."-Chinese Proverb; used by Adlai Stevenson at Eleanor Roosevelt's funeral

Enjoy today.  It's all you have.  Look back on a year ago.  Is life anywhere near how you thought it would be?  Probably not.  Good, bad, or indifferent, things happen every day that shape your life; and really, the only thing you can do is play the hand you were given.  You have to know, "which hands to shake, and which hands to hold."  Experiences make us who we are.

Song of the day:  "Anyway" by Martina McBride

No comments:

Post a Comment